perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Golllucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: [mp2] problems with mod_perl2.pm fooling around with mod_perl.pm in %INC
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 04:42:09 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Anybody can tell me why the following code was added?
>
> % cat lib/mod_perl2.pm
> [...]
> # this stuff is here to assist back compat
> # basically, if you
> #  PerlModule mod_perl2
> # or take similar steps to load mod_perl2 at
> # startup you are protected against loading mod_perl.pm
> # (either 1.0 or 1.99) at a later time by accident.
> $mod_perl::VERSION = $mod_perl2::VERSION;
> $INC{"mod_perl.pm"} = __FILE__;
>
> This breaks any detection mechanism, e.g. it broke libapreq1:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=111569421220736&w=2
>
> Any chance this can be removed?

Hi all,

Stas, I actually wanted to change that to
$INC{mod_perl2.pm} = __FILE__

Both you and Geoff caught me and said no, that this was there and
correct to prevent accidental loading of mp1 by later doing
'use mod_perl' If you had mp1 and mp2 in the same perl tree.  You then
suggested that based on Geoff's response to me
that the comment above that be added.  Its about 1-2 months ago in the
archives of -dev

My originall reason for chaning it was the output of Apache2::Status
which listed mod_perl.pm as version 1.999.xx which confused the hell out
of me because I thought it was going to be 1.29 or whatever mp1 is at
right now havn't looked in a while.

HTH

--
END

Philip M. Gollucci
Consultant
E-Mail: pgollucci@p6m7g8.com
URL   : http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/resume.shtml
Phone : 301.254.5198

$Id: .signature,v 1.7 2004/09/05 23:46:37 philip Exp $