perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [PMX:####] Re: [VOTE] mp2.0.0 next week?
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 04:29:39 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>As RC6 release didn't reveal any significant problems (a few minor bugs
>>that are either already fixed or will be shortly), I propose that it's
>>time to get 2.0.0 out. I was thinking to work next week to polish things
>>and improve docs and get 2.0.0 towards the end of the week/or the
>>beginning of the following week.
>

> Sounds like a reasonable path to me. If necessary, I can take up the
> release-manager's hat once more if needed, since I have the time to.

Cool, go for it.

My plan was to polish things this week (add registryprefork and stuff),
get the 2.0.0-RC on friday and release 2.0.0 on monday if everything is
cool. Remember that 2.0.0 is about API freeze. We will certainly have
problems to deal with when people will actually start using 2.0.0. But
before we release 2.0.0 they won't start using it.

So let's plan for the 2.0.0 release candidate (not RC7) this friday.

> I would like to sort out the Apache::Reload segv problem before 2.0.0,
> though.

It has been on the todo list for quite a few months. We can't wait
forever. I suggest that the old pure perl code will be committed instead
of the slightly limping new C code.

>>Besides being long overdue, my personal reason for getting it out now,
>>is that I'm finishing my contract with TM shortly and I'll be on the
>>road having vacation and teaching mp2 during most of the summer, so I
>>won't be able to deal with any post-release problems if it's released
>>later. Of course there are others who can do that, but it seems that
>>nobody has time nowadays.
>

> Still, we've been on the 2.0 path long enough IMO. There will still be
> problems and bugs, but we've always done a good job at hunting these down.

right.

>>So please vote. Thanks.
>

> I am definitely +1 for a 2.0.0 release in the near future.

The near future is here: this friday 2.0.0 rc and mon-tue 2.0.0-final