perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: modperl and the TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT-patch for linux
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 06:30:29 GMT
Torsten Foertsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I have patched my apache with this patch and now I have noticed that
> testing mod_perl hangs in t/protocol/pseudo_http. The reason is simple and to
> be expected. t/protocol/pseudo_http tests a protocol module that is greeting
> the client with "HELO" before receiving any data. Since the patch prevents
> accept(2) from returning before data has been received from the client the
> connection is not accepted. Hence no piece of code gets chance to send
> "HELO".
>
> Maybe it is worth to change the test so that the client must send someting at
> first?
>
> I could provide a patch.

What's that patch you are talking about, Torsten?

This workaround doesn't sound right. A protocol handler (server) must be
able to start the conversation first. If not, many protocols relying on
the server's greeing (e.g. SMTP) won't work. e.g., see:
http://www.samlogic.net/articles/smtp.htm

If Apache is trying to change that behavior, it seems to be like a wrong
decision. Do you have a pointer to where this change was introduced?