perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: problems with pause indexer: APML
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 05:06:15 GMT
Andreas J Koenig wrote:

>   > Hi Andreas,
>   > Any idea why the below has happened? I was releasing before and everything
>   > worked just fine. I've moved the perms to APML as you've told me to (and
>   > asked everybody else to do), so now it shows:
>
>   > APR  	APML  	first-come
>   > APR 	GOZER 	co-maint
>
>   > Apparently, this doesn't quite work?
>
> It's really quite simple: At the point of time when you asked the
> database, APML was owner, GOZER was co-maintainer, STAS was neither
> nor. Because STAS was neither nor, the indexer refused to index the
> namespace APR.
>
> A long time ago we agreed that you are nominated representative for
> APML.

Not exactly, Andreas. You have asked me to ask everybody to give up their
perms and transfer those to APML. I've sent you the draft of that email
and you've approved it, which was then sent to all concerned. Everybody
but GOZER has acted on that email, that's why only GOZER is the only
co-maintainer.

> In other words, when you (user STAS) visit pause.perl.org, then
> you should have a menu to change permissions for all modules owned by
> APML.

Two menus: one owned by APML and yet another where AMPL is a registered
module owner. Which already sucks, as there is no unified single access
point. So many times people change one but not the other.

> The "right" solution to your problem would have been to (1) make
> yourself co-maintainer of all namespaces before uploading or (2) make
> yourself co-maintainer of all namespaces and then reindex. I have made
> (2) for you and the indexer will pick up in the next hour.

That's absolutely not what we want Andreas. We need *not* to have
everybody explicit co-maintainer. We need to add people to the APML group
and have everything happen automatically. Manually giving each new
developer co-maint ownership contradicts the idea of the group ownership
we were discussing before.

>   > Would you please:
>
>   > 1) manually force re-indexing, so people will be able to see this new
>   > release asap.
>
> Done.

Thanks.

>   > 2) let us know what happens with that APML thing?
>
> Current solution sucks but it sucks less than you seem to perceive. We
> have a roadmap towards seemless integration of the representative role
> into normal login, but we are not there yet. But by actually using the
> available mechanism now you help catching bugs, so please do proceed
> as described above and provide feedback.

Sure, let's polish the bugs.