perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: syncing branches with trunk, how?
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 15:47:00 GMT
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:32:07AM -0400, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> [...]
> >>% svn info . | sed -n '/^URL/{s,/branches/.*,,;s/^URL://;p}'
> >>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk
> >

> >That's the trunk, not a branch.  The script should be run from a
> >checkout of the *branch* which you're trying to merge into.
> >
> >(unless we are talking completely at cross purposes - my script can be
> >used to ease maintenance of a branch which needs to be merged from the
> >trunk periodically.  Not the other way round...)
>
> Heh, thanks for the spot, Joe. I have too many checked out things with
> similar names :)
>
> So it worked :) The log is below.
>
> So now can I just commit all those changes at once? will a future merge
> into the trunk know how to deal with that?

Yes, you can commit them all at once, I can't see how that would affect
future merges back to the trunk.  (svn won't really care: you'll just do
a diff between the trunk and a fully-synched branch, then apply that to
a wc of the trunk)

You should remove the "merge-point" property from the branch before
merging it back, though, since there's little point in having that on
the trunk.

Regards,

joe