perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: syncing branches with trunk, how?
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 09:37:25 GMT
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:58:30PM -0400, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Markus Wichitill wrote:
> >Stas Bekman wrote:
> >
> >>Seeing how painful was the last branch's merge, I was wondering if
> >>there is an automatic way to keep the branch in sync with the trunk.
> >

> >Unfortunately not, that would require merge tracking, which is one of
> >Subversion's medium-term goals.
> >
> >http://subversion.tigris.org/roadmap.html
>
> Thanks Markus. So what are the current workarounds? Is there an easy way
> to replay the commits? Will it create problems when doing the merge back
> to the trunk?

You can use a semi-automated technique by recording the last-merge-point
as a property; I've been using this script:

http://people.apache.org/~jorton/svn.remerge

for one of my projects, it seems to work quite well.  To begin, set the
"merge-point" property on the branch to the revision number of the last
merge from the trunk, and just run the script to merge again from a wc
of the branch.

(it assumes you have the standard repos structure with a "trunk/"
alongside "branches/)

joe