perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject building mp2 with a prior install
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 06:29:07 GMT
I'm not sure if this is really a problem, or more a symptom
of some problem on my system ... When installing RC5, I
manually deleted enough files from an earlier mp2 install
so as to satisfy Makefile.PL, and then installed it.
Later, when building svn with this same Perl, I found
that 'perl Makefile.PL' produces an error:

String found where operator expected at D:/Perl/lib/IO.pm
line 11, near "XSLoader::load 'IO'"
	(Do you need to predeclare XSLoader::load?)
syntax error at D:/Perl/lib/IO.pm line 11, near "XSLoader::load 'IO'"
Compilation failed in require at D:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 260.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 260.
Compilation failed in require at D:/Perl/lib/IO/Seekable.pm line 101.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:/Perl/lib/IO/Seekable.pm line 101.
Compilation failed in require at D:/Perl/lib/IO/File.pm line 117.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:/Perl/lib/IO/File.pm line 117.
Compilation failed in require at D:/Perl/lib/FileHandle.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at D:/Perl/lib/ExtUtils/Embed.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at lib/Apache2/Build.pm line 26.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at lib/Apache2/Build.pm line 26.
Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 35.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 35.

This came about (I think) because I had forgotten to delete
Apache2.pm from the earlier install, and the
   eval { require Apache2 };
of Makefile.PL adjusts @INC. Removing this Apache2.pm
solves the problem. What I'm wondering though is
- if this comes about because there's still remnants of
an earlier install still around (I thought I got everything
except for Apache2.pm).
- if this problem arises just because an old Apache2.pm is
still there, and nothing else, perhaps Makefile.PL should
abort if it finds Apache2.pm? The above error message
doesn't really suggest what's causing the problem.

--
best regards,
randy