perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: potential release candidate
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:43:47 GMT
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> > To avoid such problems with CPAN/CPANPLUS, I think that's
> > correct that all the prior RCs should be removed. The
> > problem is is that, even though, for example,
> > Apache::PerlSections in RC4 will be renamed to
> > Apache2::PerlSections, the CPAN/PAUSE indices map modules to
> > distributions, and so will keep older versions of
> > distributions around if they contain modules that are no
> > longer present in the latest version of a distribution.
>
> will releasing mod_perl 1.0 at the same time fix this?
> if so, I can either ping philippe or roll the candidate
> myself.  unless someone else wants to do it.

No, I don't think releasing mod_perl 1 will help ... If I
understand how it works, the CPAN/PAUSE indices have a
memory of module names and versions, and their associated
package names and versions. Since there were some modules in
a prior RC of mp2 that overrode those in mp1, these will be
remembered as long as these RCs are on CPAN. For example,

[randy@theoryx5 randy]$ perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.76)

cpan> i /Zanas/
Distribution    D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-0.9954.tar.gz
Distribution    D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz
Module          Zanas           (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-0.9954.tar.gz)
Module          Zanas::Dawdler  (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz)
Module          Zanas::Docs     (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz)
Module          Zanas::InternalRequest (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz)
Module          Zanas::Loader   (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz)
Module          Zanas::Request  (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz)
Module          Zanas::Request::Upload (D/DM/DMOW/Zanas-5.3.25.tar.gz)

Apparently in Zanas-0.9954 there was a module "Zanas"
supplied which was dropped in later versions of the
distribution. However, CPAN.pm still remembers the
two distributions.

I think the cleanest way around this problem is to remove
the prior RCs from CPAN (asking Andreas to manuall reindex
mp1 may also be needed afterwards).

--
best regards,
randy