perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: potential release candidate
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:38:27 GMT
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> > Geoffrey> alright, since lincoln is good to go and
> > things (in general) Geoffrey> seem to be in good shape,
> > I'd like to roll an official RC on Geoffrey> monday,
> > with release to CPAN on wednesday if all goes well.
> >
> > When you do that, please also remove RC4 from the CPAN
> > (it'll still be available on backpan), as CPAN.pm
> > currently wants me to "upgrade" my modperl1
> > "Apache::PerlSections" by installing modperl2.  To be
> > safe, all prior RCs should be removed, so that I don't
> > have to ask about this again. :)
>
> we'll need to think about the right way to do this, and
> I'm not sure that simply removing RC4 is the right way.
> maybe, but I just don't know.

To avoid such problems with CPAN/CPANPLUS, I think that's
correct that all the prior RCs should be removed. The
problem is is that, even though, for example,
Apache::PerlSections in RC4 will be renamed to
Apache2::PerlSections, the CPAN/PAUSE indices map modules to
distributions, and so will keep older versions of
distributions around if they contain modules that are no
longer present in the latest version of a distribution.

--
best regards,
randy