perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: backwards compatibility idea
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:22:29 GMT

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Over on the Mason list, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> offered this
> idea:
>

>>For most Mason users who are working in mod_perl, if only the Apache2
>>and Apache::compat modules had been retained (Apache2 as a no-op,
>>Apache::compat as an alternate name for Apache2::Compat::* constants)
>>suspect the mason applications would work without change to server
>>configurations.  You would obviously need to upgrade Mason itself...
>>but
>>not the applications that rely upon it.
>

> What do you guys think about this?  Could we maybe create an
> Apache::compat that would wrap Apache2::compat?  Maybe in a separate,
> temporary distribution?

there should be some discussion in the archives about this where you get get
other people's opinions.  but my opinion is that if we do this then we
essentially need to worry about supporting 3 APIs - mp1, old 1.99-style
syntax, and the official 2.0 (however it is different from today).

I'm not unsympathetic to the grief the rename has and will cause our users,
but I think it will be temporary and shortlived.  providing any back compat
to prior 1.99 versions will just prolong the pain.  for example, when is it
safe for us to remove the Apache::compat wrapper around Apache2::compat?
that's a question I don't really want to even consider.

really, I don't feel like dealing with pre-rename issues ever again - making
a clean break now is best for everyone (or so my mind tells me :)  but mine
isn't the only opinion here, of course, and if others feel differently or
strongly then I can compromise :)

--Geoff