perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] new ithreads branch?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:41:44 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>sure, go ahead and create a new branch.  I hope this one merges better,
>>>though ;)
>>

>>Me too :) should we call it 'ithreads'?
>>
>>svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/perl/modperl/branches/ithreads?
>

> sounds good.  maybe the unstable- prefix like apreq and the rename did is
> also a good

ok

>>I think 5.005_0x is a history now. At least I've noticed that more and
>>more modules on CPAN no longer bother to support it. I've stopped trying
>>to support it in my modules, where it relies on other modules which
>>already don't support it.
>

> actually, we need T::B 0.49 or greater for things to work, so we probably
> need to bundle it or require it as an external dependency.  IIRC no perl has
> shipped with that version or higher yet.

we have already agreed that we need to bundle it anyway, so we can do even
a blead version of it.

>>>personally I'm very much in favor of dumping Test.pm if we can make
>>>Test::Builder do what we need.
>>

>>Well, we can't yank Test.pm, because we need special straps under
>>mod_perl. such as 'plan $r, ...'.
>

> you can yank Test.pm and still have those straps.  at least I think you can.
>  the current -withtestmore  allows plan() to work properly with $r, for example.

but all the cruft lives in Test.pm, if you yank it how will it work? In
any case you don't want to break existing modules using it, unless we call
it Apache-Test-2.0 and then we can change the API.

>>Though we could make Test.pm a proper
>>subclass of Test::More.
>

> there's already Test::Legacy for that, which might be thing work
> experimenting with and adding our foo to if need be.

Not sure why do we need that. I've meant to make our Apache::Test a
subclass of Test::More.

In any case, once I have the ithreads-unstable branch of mp2, how do I
proceed? Do I need to make a separate branch of A-T and then somehow tell
the ithreads-unstable to use that as externals? Did you by chance document
the steps you went through when doing the rename branch?