perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] new ithreads branch?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:09:09 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I'm working out the details of using the new CLONE_SKIP feature. I was
>>thinking that it'd be useful to make a new branch for tha purpose. The
>>main problem is that at the moment we can't run the new tests
>>conditionally, since there is nothing to condition the support for
>>CLONE_SKIP :(
>

> sure, go ahead and create a new branch.  I hope this one merges better,
> though ;)

Me too :) should we call it 'ithreads'?

svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/perl/modperl/branches/ithreads?

>>Another issue is Apache::Test, which needs a better
>>Test::More/Test::Builder support than we have now (due to threads
>>issues). And potentially as discussed before we many bundle Test::More
>>with A-T or mp2. So it'd be nice to work out those details in that
>>branch too. Or do we need a separate branch for A-T?
>

> well, here's my thought.
>
> if we include Test::More then I would suggest dumping Test.pm support
> altogether and focus on getting things right with T::M.  I don't think,
> however, that we can dump Test.pm unless we bundle T::M with the
> distribution, though, since it leaves 5.00503 users needing to install
> additional modules...

I think 5.005_0x is a history now. At least I've noticed that more and
more modules on CPAN no longer bother to support it. I've stopped trying
to support it in my modules, where it relies on other modules which
already don't support it.

>>Once we have the branch others can test whether things work for them.
>>

> yeah, a new branch for yanking out Test.pm is probably best.  but if
> development is in parallel (such that Test.pm and Test::More are A-T options
> and users can choose) then we can probably just tack it on to trunk.
>
> personally I'm very much in favor of dumping Test.pm if we can make
> Test::Builder do what we need.

Well, we can't yank Test.pm, because we need special straps under
mod_perl. such as 'plan $r, ...'. Though we could make Test.pm a proper
subclass of Test::More.