perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] new ithreads branch?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:47:59 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> I'm working out the details of using the new CLONE_SKIP feature. I was
> thinking that it'd be useful to make a new branch for tha purpose. The
> main problem is that at the moment we can't run the new tests
> conditionally, since there is nothing to condition the support for
> CLONE_SKIP :(

sure, go ahead and create a new branch.  I hope this one merges better,
though ;)

> Another issue is Apache::Test, which needs a better
> Test::More/Test::Builder support than we have now (due to threads
> issues). And potentially as discussed before we many bundle Test::More
> with A-T or mp2. So it'd be nice to work out those details in that
> branch too. Or do we need a separate branch for A-T?

well, here's my thought.

if we include Test::More then I would suggest dumping Test.pm support
altogether and focus on getting things right with T::M.  I don't think,
however, that we can dump Test.pm unless we bundle T::M with the
distribution, though, since it leaves 5.00503 users needing to install
additional modules...

> Once we have the branch others can test whether things work for them.

yeah, a new branch for yanking out Test.pm is probably best.  but if
development is in parallel (such that Test.pm and Test::More are A-T options
and users can choose) then we can probably just tack it on to trunk.

personally I'm very much in favor of dumping Test.pm if we can make
Test::Builder do what we need.

--Geoff