perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r161072 - perl/modperl/trunk/lib/ModPerl/Manifest.pm
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:08:32 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>hmm...  doesn't that make it more difficult for users to run tests if
>>>they
>>>have threading problems?
>>

>>mp2 is not ready to be run in the threaded environment. Users *will*
>>have problems if they run threads and having or not having these tests
>>won't make any difference. So by not having those we at least avoid
>>receiving bug reports for something that we already know and can't deal
>>with at the moment.
>

> so, we ship with only the tests we know pass, ignore the tests that we know
> won't, but still let users compile with threaded mpms and do nothing about it?

Notice that we disable tests that spawn perl threads. All other tests are
not disabled.

All I can say is that I'm working at the moment with p5p to get this issue
resolved. (there could be other issues as well, but we won't know until
the cloning issue is resolved, since the crashes give absolutely no idea
at what went wrong and when, other than pointing at threads.

>>>I'd be +1 for keeping the tests in the distribution but just skipping
>>>over
>>>them with skip_reason().  the users can run them by simply commenting
>>>that
>>>part of the test out without going to svn.
>>

>>If you volunteer to handle those bug reports, go for it, Geoff.
>

> I fail to see how including but skipping tests indicates we will suddenly be
> inundated with thread related bug reports.  I was just making a suggestion...

Agreed, let's go with skipping then.