perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r161072 - perl/modperl/trunk/lib/ModPerl/Manifest.pm
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:56:21 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>

>> stas@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Author: stas
>>> Date: Tue Apr 12 09:43:53 2005
>>> New Revision: 161072

>>> Log:
>>> exclude all threads tests from the distro, too many failures
>>

>> hmm...  doesn't that make it more difficult for users to run tests if
>> they
>> have threading problems?
>

> mp2 is not ready to be run in the threaded environment. Users *will*
> have problems if they run threads and having or not having these tests
> won't make any difference. So by not having those we at least avoid
> receiving bug reports for something that we already know and can't deal
> with at the moment.

so, we ship with only the tests we know pass, ignore the tests that we know
won't, but still let users compile with threaded mpms and do nothing about it?

>> I'd be +1 for keeping the tests in the distribution but just skipping
>> over
>> them with skip_reason().  the users can run them by simply commenting
>> that
>> part of the test out without going to svn.
>

> If you volunteer to handle those bug reports, go for it, Geoff.

I fail to see how including but skipping tests indicates we will suddenly be
inundated with thread related bug reports.  I was just making a suggestion...

--Geoff