perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: the issue with APR_HAS_THREADS
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:24:16 GMT
> I think that means a simple thing. You had Apache first installed with
> libapr as a part of it and that libapr was built with threads so the
> header file was:
>
>  apache/include/apr.h:#define APR_HAS_THREADS           1
>
> now you build a new libapr, and its header files are installed
> elsewhere. But you still have apache/include/apr.h from above, and
> that's the one that mod_perl's build process picks. Is that the case?

I think you said it backwards...

I had 1 apr installed in /usr/local/. outside of httpd without threads.
this came from the install of subversion via freebds
ports(/usr/ports/devel/subversion) .

I then had one installed with httpd w/ threads in
/home/pgollucci/dev/inst/httpd/2.1.5-dev/prefork/ based on my subversion
checkouts of httpd2,apr,apr-util.  (I had to build/install subversion as
above first to do this)

The first was in my path so it was used as the lib despite my --with-apr
option to configure.

The header file [apache/include/apr.h] got generated with threads
because of --enable-maintainer-mode I passed to httpd which did imply
threads as it should.

So now I have a header/library mismatch. It got worse so that my httpd
was linked with _BOTH_ APRs.  The non threading one was first in the ldd
output of httpd -- I guess its first come first serve.  HTTPD managed to
compile and run somehow.  This double linking blew up in face when I got
to the mp2 make stage.

After wasting a lot of my time... and probably others... I'd say this is
likely a mix up on my part and/or httpd's configure did not honor my
--with-apr options... I'll follow this up on dev@apr.apache.org

END