perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: make DESTDIR=... install
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:39:04 GMT
On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:36:55AM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> > It may be easier to blame the tool but SVN just does what you tell it,
> > there is no automatic branch merging.  SVN is little more advanced than
> > CVS in this regard; it relies on some external mechanism (e.g. human
> > beans) to remember the merge points.
> >
> > What went wrong here?
>
> ok, we had trunk and a branch and wanted to merge the changes back into
> trunk.  I basically followed these instructions
>
> http://www.bricolage.cc/docs/current/api/Bric/Hacker.html#MERGING_CHANGES_FROM_BRANCH_TO_TRUNK
>
> resolved all conflicts and committed.  the end result was apparently that
> some changes in trunk were not carried over.

Oh, the problem here is doubtless in merging across the renamed
directories; that's a kind of hard problem.  The above will work fine if
you ensured that all changes to the trunk lib/Apache/* were merged into
the branch's lib/Apache2/* before merging the branch back to the trunk.

"svn merge" is not smart enough to apply changes to renamed files, so
when you were merging from trunk to branch, it will have issued warnings
about "missing files" being skipped; each of those would have to be
dealt with manually.

joe