perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject CGI.pm dependency in Apache2::Status (was: Re: svn commit: r156472 ...)
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:44:32 GMT
Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org> writes:

> geoff@apache.org wrote:

[...]

>> note you will need to alter CGI.pm to require Apache2 modules
>> just to get the server to start
>
> ok, these were pretty massive commits but this is the important part -
> the test suite is up and running again, with (the expected) large
> number of failures.

At this point I hope we're not very far from achieving 100% passing
on the test suite, but my mp2 tuits for this week are pretty much
exhausted now.

> the note above is the only caveat - Apache2::Status requires either
> libapreq or CGI.pm, and CGI.pm won't work in it's current state since
> it uses Apache::-based modules.

I've looked at the source, and I'm puzzled why there's even
a dependency on CGI or apreq2 in there.  Looking at the handler's
treatment of the query string, it looks like the raw query string
is (part of) a subroutine name, so it's not in the "name=value" format.
For GET, that means CGI and apreq are pretty useless.  Is there some
clever use of POST data with Apache2::Status?

> so, you'll need to adjust CGI.pm just to get things running again.

This is something we will need to deal with.  Once we
can get a fixed CGI.pm on CPAN, I think we should list
that as a prereq for mp2.

In the meantime, there is some namespace aliasing cruft that
I added to t/conf/modperl_extra.pl, mainly to work around the
older CGI.pm.  Not sure what we should do with that idea.  I'm
generally opposed to binding *Apache:: and *Apache2::, but
doing it for a few select packages might be justifiable
somehow.

--
Joe Schaefer