perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] s/Apache::/Apache2::/g
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:02:48 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> OK, so you clearly win. surprise, surprise :)

I'd like to make a few observations at this point.

  Don't feel bad about how this all worked out.  The bug
  was a community bug, and this community seems more than
  willing to do its part to correct it.  Also, I really
  like the pro-am thing that's been going on at the ASF,
  and my participation in this particular issue has fully
  convinced me of the wisdom built into the ASF's process
  for community-based software development.  There's a
  wonderful feedback loop running around a healthy community,
  but sometimes we're not always tuned into it.

A few random thoughts:

  1) planetapache.org really should be required reading for all PMC
     people.

  2) Good process makes good people more productive.  It can never
     substitute for good people though.

  3) Aim for diversity on the PMC, because diverse groups tend to
     make better decisions.

  4) Let friction keep loosely-coupled communities moving in the
     same direction, but never forget that each community gets to
     define value for themselves.

  5) On the community health spectrum, IMO php rocks and lisp sucks.
     The perl community is IMO slowly moving towards lisp, when I think
     it really should be moving back towards php.  Cross-collaborative
     projects like Apache-Test are really fantastic ideas, and I'd
     like to see more things like that happening over here in
     mod_perl-land.

--
Joe Schaefer