perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: ACL filesystem incompatibility and potential race condition
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:12:46 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> Two questions:
>
> 1) did you by chance look at how this magic is generated?

I'm not sure exactly how it all works; probably some combination
of overload.pm and internal support from perl itself.  I think
all the fallback option actually does is set

    ${"APR::Error::()"} = 1

> Do we pay any penalty for letting overload handle that?

IMO the costs are comparable to everything else related to
using overload, so I don't expect it to be too costly.
I could be wrong though, so benchmark that if it's a concern.

> 2) is it safe to rely on the magic for other ops we haven't thought
> of?

I think so.  If not, I'd say that's a bug in overload.pm itself.

--
Joe Schaefer