perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: ACL filesystem incompatibility and potential race condition
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:01:36 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

>> I could be wrong though, so benchmark that if it's a concern.
>
> The 'fallback' approach is almost 3 times slower:

Good to know, thanks.

> Well, I just reported a segfault caused by overload (well it can be
> easily avoided, was caused by a recursive overload).

Right- I've seen that segfault before, and I don't think it
has anything to do with fallback mode.  IME overload is very
hairy code, and I try to avoid it whenever possible.  I guess
it's unavoidable here though because we're creating error
objects instead of making ordinary SVs.

> How about we keep an explicit mapping for now and add
> fallback if later we will see that there is a need for it?

OK, but you'll probably be needing quite a few more
subs (string comparisons, etc.).  Of course more tests
will help flesh all that out ;-)

--
Joe Schaefer