perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] s/Apache::/Apache2::/g
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:54:20 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Let's stop that drag. Clearly it's only me who's against this change. So
>>please take out your sharp knives and make a clear cut.
>

> if you want to do it that quickly we can, but voting now seems a bit
> premature.  has anyone other than joe, randy, and I actually tried the
> codebase?  I'd hate to see something move like this that nobody has taken
> the time to exercise, save the people who wrote it.
>
> on the other hand, tagging trunk and merging the branch over means we can
> rollback any time we want, so there's not much harm in moving forward
> (assuming we do).
>

>>This a vote is to decide whether mod_perl2 should have its API renamed
>>as follows: s/Apache::/Apache2::/g.
>

> that's not the only issue on the table, but the most important one.  the
> other would be, I guess, to allow a renamed branch to be installed on top of
> a non-renamed branch, which was the only other point of discussion IIRC.
>
> also, note that perrin is offline for at least a week, and gozer seems to
> not have fully recovered from his move yet, so we would be missing important
> votes if we cast them now.

My point is that this can't be dragged forever. It's been more than 2
months that 2.0 release is delayed because of this issue. I believe
everybody has already expressed enough of their opinion for us to have a
clear picture of the preferences. As there is an overhelming majority in
favor of this rename, just go ahead and do it. Another vote against won't
change anything. Philippe had a lot of opportunities to chime in over the
last two months, but he never did, so I won't hold my breath.