perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl userbase care
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:13:24 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Here is an example I've mentioned before. mp2.2 major release may be
>>required really soon if the filters stack will be changed in Apache
>>2.2, since it'll make some of the filtering API different in an
>>incompatible way with 2.0.
>

> I think it's also just as possible that the httpd guys may choose
> to leave it broken in the httpd 2.X line, because they may not
> want to introduce major API changes until they get to 3.0.  That's
> their call.

Everything and anything is possible. I believe that bug in filter stack is
a showstopper for Apache 2.2 release. And Justin has said precisely that
it'll be fixed in 2.2, when I've reported it some 2 years ago.

> Similarly, I think it's also up to the mod_perl team to decide which
> server versions they will choose to support in their releases.  Even
> now, for various reasons we don't support every perl5 version out there.
> Why is that decision-making process any different than it would be for
> apache2?

You mean you suggest that modperl won't support a newer Apache generation?
That's not going to work if the distros won't support anymore older
versions of the software. Where do you find an RPM for perl 5.005_03 these
days? Will you get a support for it from your OS provider? Obviously not.

I'm not sure how your example of perl5 fits here. We don't support really
old versions. We do support all the recent versions and all the upcoming
ones. In fact many perl 5.8.x releases very delayed because they were
breaking mod_perl.