perl-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kennedy <a...@phase-n.com>
Subject Re: independent version tracking per-Apache-module
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:14:59 GMT
I should note that my experience with two-dimensional class structures
has been less than ideal, and would tend to suggest what you want would
be quite difficult.

If one dimension is the function in each of the set of all
ApacheX::Modules, and the second is the versioning, there are all sorts
of issues, such as the following...

package Apache::Foo;

sub add_child {
	my $self = shift;

	push @{$self->{children}}, Apache::Bar->new;
}

while you can sub-class Foo quite comfortably, when you ->add_child it
still wants a Bar, which means doing things like...

	ref($self) =~ /^Apache::(.+)$/ or die;
	my $child_class = $1;
	push @{$self->{children}}, $child_class->new;

My CVS Monitor project is encountering such a situation as we speak in
doing a two-dimensional set of driver classes. Each driver needs to
implement 6 classes...

So far, my solution has been to add a ->Driver method to each class
pointing back to the base driver class, and then a ->File, ->Version,
etc method pointing to the appropriate member class.

The equivalent of the above becomes

    push @{$self->{children}, $self->Driver->Bar->new;

For me, the extra cost is worth it, since it occurs as part of a process
with runs once a day (with the results Storable'd).

mp2 does not have that luxury.

I'd like to see a proof-of-concept implementation of the class structure
you are suggesting.

Adam K