perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: nuking old mod_perls before installing unstable
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:58:04 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> as a
> community, we can decide to either stay with the current trunk, with all
> it's ramifications, or break some promises and fix what many think is a very
> major problem.

I believe the so called *community* has no idea what is awaiting them.
Hardly anybody is on that dev list.

At the moment the community knows that the API has been frozen already and
moving full speed to mp2. It doesn't know about the changes we discuss on
the dev list.

 >>This is immature.
 >

 > well, that depends on how you look at it.  is it immature to recognize a
 > bug late and take active steps to fix it?  to listen to your userbase,
 > who doesn't want mp2 to stomp on mp1 in CPAN making their existing mp1
 > applications more difficult to maintian?  I think the immature thing to
 > do would be to forge ahead and not have the maturity to realize a large
 > mistake might have been made a long time ago.

But by working around the CPAN problem (which refuses to grow up) you
create tons of other problems. You probably don't realize that CPAN while
nice, it's *not* what mod_perl is about. So if CPAN doesn't cooperate it
changes *absolutely* nothing. If mod_perl sucks it's a big problem.

 From the developer's point of view, this rename is insane. You spend most
of your time coding using the API. You don't not however spend most of
your time installing CPAN modules.

IMHO, the moment you've released that new API you will probably need to
start preparing a "R.I.P. mod_perl" tombstone and start looking for a new
job, most likely doing Java or PHP, which are sane enough not to embed
version numbers in the API. It'd be a pity.