perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: nuking old mod_perls before installing unstable
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:41:52 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
> [...]
>
>> basically, my position is that mod_perl is not at 2.0 yet, so until it
>> does
>> the entire API is up for grabs.
>

> Your (current pmc's) position completely disregards the fact that when
> we announced the first RC1 we said that the API is *frozen* and very
> minor bug fixes may affect the API to a very minimum. We have given
> people the green light to port their projects to mp2, promising that
> only minor changes might be required before the gold 2.0 goes out.

understood.

> What you are proposing is a blow in the face not only to the users but
> to the developer's in first place, completely undermining any words that
> were said to the users before.

yes.

but in light of new information, it seems we have little choice.  as a
community, we can decide to either stay with the current trunk, with all
it's ramifications, or break some promises and fix what many think is a very
major problem.

personally, I think that time has shown the mod_perl user community to be
far more forgiving than we give them credit for.  I think they are willing
to make changes if it means they are using the best product available.  but
time will tell.

> This is immature.

well, that depends on how you look at it.  is it immature to recognize a bug
late and take active steps to fix it?  to listen to your userbase, who
doesn't want mp2 to stomp on mp1 in CPAN making their existing mp1
applications more difficult to maintian?  I think the immature thing to do
would be to forge ahead and not have the maturity to realize a large mistake
might have been made a long time ago.

but all of this speculation really doesn't matter - if people want to
complain about the potential namespace shift they can, just like they
complained last time about a non-namespace shift.  we're here listening, all
of us.

--Geoff