perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2.0 namespaces - a proposal
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:54:56 GMT

Adam Kennedy wrote:
>> yes, it would suck, but I don't see how it would cause new problems.
>> Apache2:: is a namespace like any other, and it previously did not
>> exist, so
>> I would expect it to install like any other namespace but not stomp on
>> prior
>> existing stuff, which were the big concerns.
>

> Indeed. And the other half of this is that because it is separate, we no
> longer (in theory at least) need mp2-aware versions of MakeMaker and all
> the other tools that were having to be customized.
>
> I'm presuming we are still going to be able to just rip all of those
> extra tools out now, and revert to using the normal versions?

no, the mp2 MakeMaker tools serve many purposes, and installing into Apache2
is just one of them.  another is, for instance, letting XS modules know
where the mod_perl header files and typemaps are, or (IIRC) adding things
that, say, win32 needs to know about.

so no, they stay.  but now pure perl modules won't need them.

--Geoff