perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2.0 namespaces - a proposal
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:45:20 GMT

Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>  - you cannot make, test, or install the unstable branch over any
>>    other version of mod_perl-1.99
>

> Blech.  IMO that's a rather serious problem with this branch.
> Any thoughts on how it could be fixed?

I'm not so sure it's a problem - I did it quite on purpose.

basically, the branch is saying it won't try to install, say,
Apache2::RequestRec over Apache::RequestRec, the reason being that a single
call to Apache2.pm would render the new installation useless and cause utter
confusion on the users end.

I really don't see how it can be any other way - I absolutely, positively do
not want to deal with questions about how prior beta versions mix with later
beta versions and, eventually, the official 2.0.  that is, this new version
is completely incompatible with prior 1.99 versions and folks need to take
active steps to clean out their site_lib before moving forward.

> [...]
>

>>If you have issues or concerns with this path please feel free to
>>raise them.
>

> Anybody know if this branch actually solves our current CPAN
> issues with trunk?  It'd royally suck if we just displaced
> the known CPAN/installer problems with trunk with a whole new
> set of CPAN/installer problems associated with this branch.

yes, it would suck, but I don't see how it would cause new problems.
Apache2:: is a namespace like any other, and it previously did not exist, so
I would expect it to install like any other namespace but not stomp on prior
existing stuff, which were the big concerns.

--Geoff