perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2.0 namespaces - a proposal
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:53:27 GMT

Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>  - mod_perl.pm is now mod_perl2.pm
>>
>>  - Apache2.pm no longer exists
>

> Procedural question: how should we vote on
> this stuff?  At this point, I think we should
> treat this proposal as just that, a proposal.
> Any ideas about how, and when, we should do
> the actual voting?

well, I had expected a huge firefight today, which we're just not seeing,
which is great.  given that, the way I would proceed would be

  - first, assume lazy consensus if nobody hollers with something new that
we haven't already heard and discussed ad nauseum

  - if there is a new issue, discuss and come to a resolution of typical +1s
 or whatnot.

  - if we come to a consensus, either lazy or otherwise, merge to trunk and
roll a new release candidate.

I would expect that, barring any new developments, we should be able to roll
a candidate by monday at the latest.  that is, everyone listen up:  now is
the time to speak up and be heard.

> And how should vetos be
> treated?  Since it's an API change we're talking
> about, how should vetoes be handled?

roy's suggestion on board@ was that this (and other similar namespace
issues) should be non-veto type votes, and I think that's wise in this
circumstance, and for a few reasons.  first, I've never liked vetos, since
they carry with them a type of dominance that mod_perl has never been about.
 second, I think we just can't veto this issue - it needs to be resolved and
there are people on all sides with the ability to bring the issue to a halt
with veto power.

--Geoff