perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] finishing support for MP_USE_STATIC=1 MP_STATIC_EXTS=1
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:42:41 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>When MP_STATIC_EXTS=1 is used all mp2 modules are statically linked with
>>httpd, which is fine. However this leaves the APR-outside-of-mod_perl
>>broken, since none of the objects available, and therefore all t/apr-ext
>>tests fail.
>>
>>Should we just try to skip all those tests?
>>
>>Or should we nevertheless attempt to build shared objects to be used with
>>APR.so?
>>
>>The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the latter
>>approach will work, as it's possible that people use
>>MP_STATIC_EXTS=1 because their perl doesn't support shared
>>objects? But we still build APR.so.
>

> Would building a static lib (Apache::Build::BUILD_APREXT),
> as Win32 uses, be useful here?

Probably. But if they do it because they can't have shared objects, that
won't work, since that static lib is still a shared object, which
statically links all other APR::* objects.

May be if someone explains why do they need MP_STATIC_EXTS it'll be easier
to decide how to handle that.

Nick? Can you please remind us what do you use MP_STATIC_EXTS=1 for?