perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>
Subject Re: CGI.pm dependency in Apache2::Status
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:35:47 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Hmm, maybe we could have mp2 additionally expose $ENV{MOD_PERL2}?
> Then the logic becomes
>
>      if (exists $ENV{MOD_PERL2}) {
>         # running mp2
>
>      }
>      elsif exists ($ENV{MOD_PERL}) {
>         # not mp2; must be mp1 then
>
>      }
>      else {
>         # normal mode
>
>      }
>
> or whatever.  The point I'm trying to make is that the runtime
> is something we control, so marking the running mod_perl API
> via some runtime variable should be a workable approach.

While I'm sure my opinion is extremely low on the totem, I'd much prefer:

	$ENV{MOD_PERL} and $ENV{MOD_PERL_VERSION}

But that in and of itself means just checking $ENV{MOD_PERL} in MP1
modules isn't enough, so maybe it's not good to want. :-)

I'm going to show my sillyness. What does $ENV{MOD_PERL} actually
contain? I always do if against it, but I've never looked at it's
contents. Could $ENV{MOD_PERL} be made to hold the MP version, or would
that break to many things?

What happens when MOD_PERL3 comes out? ;-)

-=Chris