perl-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: CGI.pm dependency in Apache2::Status
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:34:20 GMT


Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org> writes:
> 
> [...]
> 
> 
>>so, I'm increasingly of the opinion that we should refuse to install
>>mod_perl 2.0 over any other existing mod_perl installation.
> 
> 
> +1 for refusing to install if a prior mp2 install exists,

done

> but 
> I don't (yet) see the problem when just a prior mp1 is there.

I _think_ the issue is this...

before we called 'require mod_perl' and assumed that either

  1) there was only one mod_perl in site_lib, so we could trust it, or

  2) the user declared 'PerlModule Apache2' which would explicity give mp2
priority, and hence definitively tell CGI.pm which mod_perl environment it
is running under.

now, we have the possibility of both mod_perl.pm and mod_perl2.pm in the
same site_lib, which means that both can potentially be require'd
successfully.  and if that happens CGI.pm needs to choose which one to belive.

now, CGI.pm can try to decide whether it is running under mp1 or mp2, but
unless I'm missing something it's not all that easy. or CGI.pm can decide to
eval the mp1 or mp2 API first, but I think that's the heart of the problem -
nobody should have to make a choice like that at runtime.

anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here, so if anyone has a solution I'm all
ears.

--Geoff

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@perl.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@perl.apache.org


Mime
View raw message