perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r156503 - in perl/modperl/branches/apache2-rename-unstable/t: apache/ apache2/ conf/ filter/TestFilter/ htdocs/vhost/ response/TestAPI/ response/TestApache/ response/TestApache2/ response/TestCompat/ response/TestDirective/ response/TestError/ response/TestModperl/ response/TestModules/ response/TestVhost/ vhost/
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:44:39 GMT

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 10:33 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>>some other thoughts I've had
>>
>>  - Apache2::OK seems odd.
>>
>>  - ditto with Apache2->server.
>>
>>in both these cases Apache.pm is a virtual package with no corresponding
>>real file, so I'm not sure that we need to use Apache2.  except that it
>>would be consistent with all the other Apache2 foo.  but Apache2::OK seems
>>really, really strange to me.
>

> It doesn't seem strange to me.  This is Apache2, and OK is a constant it
> provides.

ok.

> Dumb question: Why isn't it Apache2::Const::OK?

hmm...

well, I think it evolved somewhat like this...

in mp1 we had OK, but it was the same symbol duplicated in each package
which is wasteful

mp2 reduced the waste by precompiling constants into a single namespace
(leaving the old OK as an option, though).  Apache:: probably seemed as good
as anything since it was both short and had precident - at the time we had
quite a few other things in the Apache:: namespace.

currently in mp2 we've shifted away from Apache:: as a namespace, in favor
of things living in real packages.  the exceptions to this are the constants
and a handful of class methods like Apache->request and Apache->server.

with the migration away from Apache:: we didn't know exactly what do to with
these outliers, so we left them as is.

anyway, that's what I can recall off the top of my head.

personally, Apache2::Const::OK may be more consistent but seems like quite a
lot to type.  so, I think I'm ok with just keeping Apache2::OK over making
it longer, but I don't feel strongly about it.

?

--Geoff