perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r156165 - perl/modperl/branches/apache2-rename-unstable/docs
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:09:19 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>>Because trunk's layout is incorrect.
>>
>>You mean, you can't fix that?
>

> Yes, we certainly can by inverting the externals for trunk,
> but I'd rather not do that without giving people a few days
> to cope with the eventual change.

Eh? Why this should touch anybody, I've suggested to swap the source of
/docs, it has nothing to do with the apache2-unstable-rename branch, it
should be totally transparent.

> But depending on how the docs subproject operates, it might
> be easier to first map their 2.0 externals to the
> apache2-unstable-rename branch instead.  I have no preference
> one way or the other.
>
> [...]
>

>>Just remember that merging docs is much harder and more
>>time consuming than code.
>

> Ok; I don't have any immediate plans to do any docs work on
> the branch, so if someone comes up with a better idea for
> making the switchover easy, let's do that soonish.

That what I thought what be the right thing to do. But I have an even
better idea. The best approach is to avoid the merge of docs entirely. So
how about this plan. You complete the code branch w/o touching the docs,
and when you are ready to port the docs announce a freeze of
modperl-docs/src/docs/2.0 sub-tree, and go and port it, then merge the
branch with the trunk. This scenario requires no move of docs whatsoever
in the svn setup. so if like it you probably want to drop docs/ from that
branch for now.