perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: ACL filesystem incompatibility and potential race condition
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:16:32 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>Well, I just reported a segfault caused by overload (well it can be
>>easily avoided, was caused by a recursive overload).
>

> Right- I've seen that segfault before, and I don't think it
> has anything to do with fallback mode.  IME overload is very
> hairy code, and I try to avoid it whenever possible.  I guess
> it's unavoidable here though because we're creating error
> objects instead of making ordinary SVs.

Right.

>>How about we keep an explicit mapping for now and add
>>fallback if later we will see that there is a need for it?
>

> OK, but you'll probably be needing quite a few more
> subs (string comparisons, etc.).  Of course more tests
> will help flesh all that out ;-)

rather first figuring out what other overloads will be really needed. At
the moment I can't see anything useful, but '==', '""' and '0+'.

String comparisons shouldn't be even offered, IMHO. Users should check the
error code because a stringified error will be different on:

1) different locale setup

2) even with the same locale, the error string may vary from system to system

If someone needs to compare an error string, they are looking for a trouble.