perl-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: ithreads.t again
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:13:16 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

>Steve Hay wrote:
>

>>In fact, I think an earlier change that was made to APR::Error::str() to
>>have it sprintf() into a lexical $str and return that, rather than just
>>doing "return sprintf ...", looks like it was unnecessary.  Both of the
>>above test sequences still succeed at the moment for me even with that
>>change reverted :(  It must just have been a fluke that it fixed things
>>at the time.
>>

>in which case we should revert that. Please post a patch that still works
>for you.

Attached.

The test sequence that original patch was meant to fix (modules/reload
perl/api perl/ithreads) currently passes OK with the attached patch
applied (i.e. the original patch reverted), as do the two more recently
failing sequences (filter/in_error modules/reload perl/api
perl/ithreads, and filter/out_str_lc modules/reload perl/api
perl/ithreads), although the full test suite still fails if the
t/ithreads.t tests are included.

The full test suite passes OK if the t/ithreads.t tests are skipped, though.

>>I wonder if the real cause is anything to do with perlbug 34069 or 24254?
>>http://rt.perl.org/rt3/index.html?q=34069
>>http://rt.perl.org/rt3/index.html?q=24254
>>

>well, there are no threads involved there, so it could be something else.

It's the same error message that I've seen, though.  Maybe we've just
been lucky in not seeing anything amiss with non-threaded stuff.  The
bug looks like a double-free error ($_ being freed twice - once by the
inner loop, once by the outer loop), which could well cause the sort of
"random" behaviour that we're seeing.

I'd love to get that perl bug fixed and then see if our ithreads.t
problems go away.

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions
of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached
virus transmitted by this email.