perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: ithreads.t again
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:38:51 GMT
Steve Hay wrote:

>>I've build 5.8.6 with mymalloc, but no difference with any of:
>>
>>t/TEST -v filter/out_str_lc.แนซ modules/reload.t perl/api.t perl/ithreads.t
>>t/TEST -v filter/in_error.t modules/reload.t perl/api.t perl/ithreads.t
>>

> Shame.  Thanks for trying anyway.
>
> Interestingly, neither of the above sequences fail for me at the moment
> either!  All that's changed is the addition of the Apache::Reload patch
> to modperl_util.c plus the accompanying test (adding "sub promised;" to
> t/modules/reload.t).  Reverting the modperl_util.c change makes no
> difference to this, but reverting the reload.t change makes the failures
> re-appear!
>
> It looks more and more like some random memory corruption, just like the
> random failures that you find on Linux.  Maybe Win32 sets thing up in
> memory the same way each time I run the program, but is sensitive to
> very slight changes in the program being run, whereas Linux doesn't even
> set things up the same each time anyway?

Frankly I have no idea.

As mentioned before I'm planning to start writing lots of new tests solely
to excercise mp2/APR API under threads. I'm looking forward to having a
lot of "fun" :)

> In fact, I think an earlier change that was made to APR::Error::str() to
> have it sprintf() into a lexical $str and return that, rather than just
> doing "return sprintf ...", looks like it was unnecessary.  Both of the
> above test sequences still succeed at the moment for me even with that
> change reverted :(  It must just have been a fluke that it fixed things
> at the time.

in which case we should revert that. Please post a patch that still works
for you.

> I wonder if the real cause is anything to do with perlbug 34069 or 24254?
> http://rt.perl.org/rt3/index.html?q=34069
> http://rt.perl.org/rt3/index.html?q=24254

well, there are no threads involved there, so it could be something else.