perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: [mp2] taking a step back?
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:26:14 GMT
On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Stas Bekman wrote:
[ ... ]
> The other side doesn't understand the problem and you can
> safely ignore them. They are perfectly logical and correct
> to say the things regarding the perl modules they are used
> to. But they don't understand that mod_perl is 10 times
> more complex and different from what they are used to deal
> with, no matter how many hundreds of CPAN modules they
> have released so far.

I'll be brief, as it's probably a good time for reflection,
but the fact that mod_perl is complex is perhaps a good
reason for us to consider the wider implications, to some
degree. Although it's well written, has great user support,
and there's a growing document set (all for which Stas
deserves much of the credit), one of the appeals of mod_perl
is the numerous other Perl resources and support available
(CPAN, *.perl.org sites, etc., including probably a number
of private, in-house tools). The possible effect of making
these more difficult and/or confusing to an average user is
something, I think, we should consider in deciding on the
namespace problem.

--
best regards,
randy