perl-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: [mp2] taking a step back?
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:09:06 GMT
On Jan 1, 2005, at 8:24 AM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> I say let it go, this is a futile battle, it's useless trying to spend
> any more time to convince that other side that they dig in the wrong
> place. The amount of time people have spent so far trying to convince
> us that we are wrong, could have been used to already implement the
> required changes in PAUSE and CPAN. But no, people prefer to talk...

Since it seems unlikely that this will happen anytime soon, and since
we have no control over CPAN.pm, PAUSE, search.cpan.org, or CPANPLUS,
perhaps we should focus on what we *do* have control over to try to
come up with a solution that will *at least* put an end to the debate.

To my mind, that means one of two things:

1. Move mp2 to a different namespace.
2. Or drop support for mp1 upon the release of mp2.

Given that mp's numbers have been declining, mp2 does need to make a
splash when it is released. But I don't think that all the negative
stuff is the right kind of splash to ensure success.

Regards,

David