perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: file ownership tally in t/REPORT
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:29:24 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> hi all...
>
> this small patch gives us an ownership tally in t/REPORT.  the result looks
> like this if I run the tests as root.
>
> 2. Used Components and their Configuration:
>
> *** this report run as geoff (uid 500)
>
> *** file ownership tally:
>       geoff: 5692 files
>       nobody: 2897 files
>       root: 12 files
>
> *** mod_perl version 1.999021
>
> under normal circumstances I get
>
> *** file ownership tally:
>       geoff: 8600 files
>       root: 1 files
>
> anyway, I'm not sure if it will actually help diagnose things, but it might
> be useful someday...

More information doesn't necessarily help to improve diagnostics. May be
you could explain why did you have to write this code? I fail to see how
this info can be helpful. Especially the fact which user has run the
report, since it doesn't give any indication of what user was used to run
the test suite.

It'd be much more useful to have A-T record that information during the
test suite run, and than have the reporting tool, use that information.