perl-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Adam Kennedy <>
Subject Re: Time for RC4?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:32:03 GMT
If the version contains an underscore, it won't be indexed. It is 
considered a "developer" version.


Geoffrey Young wrote:
> Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>>>>>>>"Philippe" == Philippe M Chiasson <>
>>Philippe> I think there has been enough important fixes since RC3 to make RC4.
>>Philippe> Unless anybody objects loudly, I'll be rolling out RC4 sometime tomorrow.
>>Does RC4 do anything to address the CPAN indexing issue and
>>incorrectly duplicated module names?
> no, because we haven't decided on a resolution yet.
>>If not, please be sure that Andreas and the gang do not index this
> I don't know whether previous release candidates have been indexed, but if
> they were then whether this one is indexed doesn't make any difference, does
> it?  that is, the "damage" has been done and nothing can really undo it at
> this point save some manual CPAN intervention, right?
>>Also, a proposal was promised about how these issues will be resolved.
>>I've not yet seen anything from the core team about the naming and
>>coexistance issues.
> we're working on it.  please understand that this is not a simple issue, so
> it will take time.
>>So, consider this a "loud objection" unless these issues are resolved,
>>and just not yet communicated.
> development, such as the preparation of release candidates or other work,
> will not stop just because the namespace issue is not resolved.  I fully
> expect to see new release candidates rolling as the actual API gets more
> solid, other important bugs (like segfaults) are fixed, and so on.
> despite all the discussions of late, as has been mentioned before, there are
> lots of people out there taking the time to test the 2.0 API for whom
> namespaces just weren't an issue but things like the proper functioning of
> $r->foo() was - the release candidates are targeted toward those people.
> so, rest assured that an official 2.0 will not be released until we have a
> solution to the namespace issue, but until then development will continue on
> other things as well.
> also, understand that the "solution" may not be one that _you_ (as any given
> individual who reads this, not just randal) particularly like, but rather
> one that the pmc thinks comes closest to satisfying all the different issues
> and needs of the community (which includes developers, users, CPAN tools,
> and other factors).  that is, please don't think that *poof* everything will
> be groovy when it's all over and then bad mouth things when it doesn't look
> like you expect it to look - everyone will have to compromise here, take a
> deep breath, and move on.
> --Geoff
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message