perl-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kennedy <a...@phase-n.com>
Subject Re: Solution to the Apache2 issue: Option 3
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:00:05 GMT
Well, there are two things here.

What I mean to say was that there is an emerging trend towards people
using a separate Apache2 module anyway, regardless of whether it is the
first Apache2:: or it is a web-server-driver type interfacing module
from something like OpenFrame.

A search on search.cpan.org shows a half-dozen or so Apache2 things.

As to the "locking" of namespaces, I don't believe it is possible, but
most CPAN stuff like that works quite well by convention.

DBI::, PPI::, FSI:: (another upcoming project of mine) and a few other
things state explicitly somewhere in the POD that "main namespace is for
me, you go use ..."

DBI:: -> DBD:: (drivers) or DBIx:: (extensions)
PPI:: -> Perl:: (end-use modules)
FSI:: -> FSD:: (drivers)

So if you want to keep relatively strict control over Apache2:: for
mod_perl's own use (for the potential Apache->Apache2 option) then it
might be a good idea to provide some fairly straight forward information
on this in the Apache2 module, and/or the mod_perl docs.

If of course by "lock" you mean "lock out" as in "we aren't going to let
you make Apache2:: modules" then I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly. :)

If Apache2/mod_perl states this clearly, and the majority of people know
this, then anyone uploading an Apache2:: module without permission is
going to be jumped on pretty quickly and will generally pull things from
CPAN quite happily (Like last year when someone uploaded List::MoreUtils
when there was an existing module List::MoreUtil)

The modules@ list, if they know about it, will also tend to discourage
people doing bad things along the same lines.

Adam