perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Re: [Patch mp2] Case-insensitive PerlOptions
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:47:49 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>>So, can I have a clear vote on these 2 issues:
>>
>>1. Consider all our configuration directives for case-insensitivity
>>2. Make PerlOptions case-insensitive
>
> I believe your vote proposal doesn't state the arguments correcly. I
> believe it should mention:
>
>    "while somewhat slowing down some APIs"

I certainly should have mentionned that..

> e.g. I'd +1 to consider the case-insentivity in general, but -0 if it
> slows things down.

Well, I don't think there is any way to have case-insensitivity in general
without a speed penalty wrt. case-sensitiveness.

> also why those are 2 issues, and not one?

Well, I wanted to raise a more general issue of case-sensitivity in config files.
I believe that having some directive case-sensitive, and other case-insensitive would
be a _bad_ (certainly confusing thing).

So, even thought we started talking about specifically PerlOptions, I wanted to get a good
idea of how people felt about the rest of our configuration directives.

Makes sense?