perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Patch mp2] X-Powered-By
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:30:51 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:34 -0800, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>>As it stands, there is some division on the idea of sending out X-Powered-By headers
>>just like PHP does. The various idea that I believe were suggested were:
>>
>>1. Send it by default, runtime disable with PerlOptions -HTTPExpose
>>2. Send it by default, no way to disable
>>3. Not send it by default, runtime enable with PerlOptions +HTTPExpose
>>4. Not implement it at all
>>5. Compile-time enable/disable (combined with either 1, 2 or 3)
>>
>>How does everybody feels about each of these options ?
>

> Anything but 2 is fine with me.  I don't have a strong opinion about
> including this or not.

My reasoning for not including it even as an optinal feature, is that it
introduces an unnecessary overhead. even though it's just a flag check, if
it happens for all http phases, it happens for each phase. Granted it's
*very* small, but those small things add up. therefore if decided to add
this feature internally I'd be +1 to have it enabled only at compile time.