perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: BSD::Resource needed on BSD systems
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:18:36 GMT
Eric Cholet wrote:
> Le 5 janv. 05, à 16:37, Stas Bekman a écrit :
>

>>> t/modules/apache_resource...............skipped
>>>         all skipped: cannot find module 'BSD::Resource'
>>

>> ah, right, now I understand why I thought we were already testing for it.
>>
>>> Is the above related to Apache::SizeLimit? In any case it'd be nicer if
>>> this could be detected earlier, at perl Makefile.PL or compile time.
>>

>> No, it's an Apache::Resource test
>

> I thought so too, but nothing in the test output suggests SizeLimit was
> tested:

It's not tested at run time, we just test that it's loaded. Feel free to
submit a patch/post an idea how to add a test for A-SL w/o disrupting the
rest of the test suite.

>> What do you mean detected? Like offer you a list of optional modules?
>> We have discussed that, but didn't arrive to any firm plan on how the
>> best to do it. How do you propose we deal with that?
>

> Uh, sorry, I don't have any proposals, I'm new here :) From the other
> posts on this thread I understand that this it is not practical or
> feasible to detect this at compile time.

My proposal was to somehow report to users the optional modules during
'perl Makefile.PL' (.e.g Module::Build (or is it Module::Install) seems to
provide this functionality. When running CPANPLUS it suggests to install
optional modules. I don't know how to do it with MakeMaker.