perl-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Redburn <jredb...@freeshell.org>
Subject Re-using tipools outside mod_perl / apache
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:09:42 GMT
Hello,

I've been looking for advice (perlmonks, p5p, colleagues) on maintaining
a persistent pool of Perl interpreters, and all the advice seems to come
back to mod_perl 2. While I was hoping to find a simpler example, it
seems I will need to make my way through your codebase.

I was hoping some of you might have some advice in terms of decoupling
the tipool and interpreters work from apache and mod_perl itself so that
it can be used on its own. Even better would be a simple reduced case
used to test the interpreters pool.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

- Jeremy

ps. If anyone is interested, this work is part of some work I'm doing
with the Pegasus CIMOM (openpegasus.org). Pegasus as it stands allows
you to write providers in C and C++. I have enabled Perl support, but it
requires a lock on the Perl interpreter while in use and is thus not all
that useful. I'm looking to implement a pool of Perl interpreters so as
to enable external callbacks to the system from the Perl providers and
multiple calls to Perl providers simultaneously.