perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: [mp2 patch] lib/ModPerl/DummyVersions.pm
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:51:33 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> As noted the PAUSE indexer can't index any of our autogenerated files,
> since they aren't in the distro that gets uploaded to CPAN. As we really
> need to get RC3 out tomorrow, the following temp solution resolves this
> problem, by autogenerating lib/ModPerl/DummyVersions.pm which looks like:
>
> #
> # /*
> #  * *********** WARNING **************
> #  * This file generated by ModPerl::WrapXS/0.01
> #  * Any changes made here will be lost
> #  * ***********************************
> #  * 01: lib/ModPerl/Code.pm:702
> #  * 02: /home/stas/apache.org/mp2-pool/lib/ModPerl/WrapXS.pm:1082
> #  * 03: /home/stas/apache.org/mp2-pool/lib/ModPerl/WrapXS.pm:1128
> #  * 04: Makefile.PL:413
> #  * 05: Makefile.PL:317
> #  * 06: Makefile.PL:53
> #  */
> #
>
> package APR::Util;
> $APR::Util::VERSION = 2.000_000;
> package APR::Base64;
> $APR::Base64::VERSION = 2.000_000;
> [...]

+1 on concept. I think the generated $VERSION should match the
current mp2 $VERSION so it bumps up on each release, no ?

> and it gets included in the distro. And the indexer gets the idea of what
> versions modperl ships with.
>
> the issues:
>
> 1) I'm not sure APR modules should get their versions as 2.0.0. Should it
> be 0.9 instead? since Apache 2.0 uses libapr 0.9.x.

I guess 0.9.x would make a bit more sense, but I think the most important thing
is that whatever the generated version is, that it gets incremented on each
release. That would be difficult if using anything but $mod_perl::VERSION;

> 2) This module will get installed so we should adjust MM rules to ignore
> it on make install.

Good idea.