perl-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: [mp2] taking a step back?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:18:10 GMT
On Jan 2, 2005, at 3:26 PM, Randy Kobes wrote:

> The possible effect of making
> these more difficult and/or confusing to an average user is
> something, I think, we should consider in deciding on the
> namespace problem.

And that's the rub, I think. I am in complete agreement with Randy
here. As we have no control over those other tools, but we do have
control over mod_perl, it is at least worth *considering* the case made
by an overwhelming representation of the Perl community. It cannot be
dismissed lightly, and, speaking as the owner of a business that relies
on mod_perl, I would hope that we would do everything we can to avoid
releasing mp2 to a cacophony of boos. It will be very bad for mod_perl.

I agree that it would be worthwhile for Perl to have a way of managing
versions as part of module names (as is planned for Perl 6), but if
it's not going to happen for Perl 5, we need to work around it in a way
that will cause the least pain and outcry from the community of users.

Regards,

David