perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [mp2] PAUSE indexer issues
Date Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:32:41 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

>> Looks reasonable.  Then how about changing mp2's META.yml
>> to simply not index any similarly-named mp1-modules?
>
> What difference would it make? It'll fix the problem for modules
> requiring mp1, but it'll break dependencies for modules requiring
> mp2. Even if you it's reasonable to suggest that there are more mp1
> users at the moment, who's going to decide when it's the right time to
> stop the wheel and start rolling it in the opposite direction.

I'd think the pmc@perl would decide, preferably with 3 +1's on this
list.

> Or do you suggest to make a special case for mod_perl.pm?
>
> And if you follow your own suggestion, you will have to completely exclude
> libapreq2 from indexing, preventing anybody from seeing it via CPAN clients.

We could index "mod_perl2" and "libapreq2" (note the "2") modules,
and tell new developers to put those at the top of their prereq list.
Once those prereqs are satisfied, the other Apache::* dependencies
will be taken care of, so the fact that Apache::Request is indexed in
a libapreq1 tarball shouldn't matter, should it?  I'm guessing about
how cpan actually resolves these dependencies, so if I'm wrong please
say so.

--
Joe Schaefer