perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: t/modules/proxy.t fails with httpd-2.1
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:56:48 GMT
Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:43:22AM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>>
>> > One needs to go through a deprecation cycle before any backwards
>> > compatibility in the same generation of the project can be dropped.
>>
>> Heh, a search for "deprecation cycle" on marc's dev@httpd archives
>> comes up empty.
>
> I'm not sure really what you expect.  That no API changes can be made
> during 2.1 development unless they were predicted ahead of time by N
> years and marked with a red dot?

I think what Stas was expecting something similar to the perl5
versioning rules: misfeatures that occur minor version $X  (X even)
cannot be removed until $X+4, and must first be marked deprecated
in $X+2.  I'm just pointing out that dev@httpd has never discussed
doing something like that, so Stas is mistaken if he's expecting
dev@httpd to follow such rules.

Not that I think it'd be a bad thing though, because it would
provide specific guidance about when to bump the minor number.
But I won't be lobbying for this on dev@httpd any time soon :-)

--
Joe Schaefer